Sunday, March 17, 2013

Saul Bass


Saul bass is an American graphics designer, title designer and film maker. His most famous pieces of work are the film posters he has created through out his life time including the poster for the film ‘The shining’. He has worked on films with some of the greatest filmmakers of all time including Alfred Hitchcock. As well as working on films bass has also created logos for many of the big companies in America such as AT&T’s bell and globe logo.
His work mostly consists of a block colour for the background with only a few more colours in the foreground which I like as it keeps it looking simple. For the twister poster I love bass’ typographical designs on all his work as it stands out and this is an area I wish to improve so will take inspiration from this. I also like the way that the text looks hand draw as it adds a bit of personality to the work which you don’t always get from using a computer. The poster uses only three colours and yet still captures people’s interest, and this is the sort of look I aim to achieve in future and will therefore be looking at his work more closely.
 
 
 
 
 
 


I like how saul bass keeps the colours simple and never mixes warm colours with cold colours a this makes his work stand out and look really bright and vibrant. I want to start to use screen printing more and I think that looking at saul basses work would help a lot because it uses simple lines and shapes with limited colour and yet to get a very big impact and its hard not to like his work.


Another reason why I really like his work is because of the typography, at the moment I don't really use much in my work and I want to change that as I think type can make your work stand out if it is done correctly. I really like the font used in saul basses work as it always links in with the design, he keeps the font quite square and straight this simple look compliments the fact his work is so bold and bright and ensures that they both work well together.


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;